This policy applies to all food related goods and services offered by earthshine, including:
- Food products maufactured and packaged by Earthshine.
- Catering service for Cape Town.
- Vivo Pizza takeaway raw food pizza service for Cape town.
Packaged foods sold by Earthshine are accurately labeled on the ingredients to indicate the organic status of each ingredient, these are updated on an ongoing basis to ensure accuracy at all times.
- We always prefer to use organic ingredients in our foods.
- Practically, this means a large proportion of our fresh ingredients, especially kale used in our kale chips are usually certified organic or biodynamic.
- Some ingredients we consider ‘low risk’ we will routinely use non organic where the price and/or availability of organic is currently prohibitive, eg. Cashew nuts.
- Some ingredients we consider ‘high risk’ we will only ever use certified organic, eg. Tamari sauce, made from soy.
- We do not cook any dishes or part of dishes, we don’t even have cookers in our kitchens.
- Any dehydration of foods takes place at around or below 47 degrees celsius, to preserve nutrients.
- We do use some bought in ingredients that may not be 100% raw or even raw at all. We keep these to an absolute minimum. eg. Vine leaves for dolmades are steamed before we reveive them.
- We always buy as much of our produce as possible from local organic farms around Cape Town.
- Some produce comes from friends and families organic gardens too.
- Local fruit and vegetable wholesalers and suppliers are utilized too.
- We strive to not use fresh ingredients that have been airfreighted into SA at the cost of the environment, eg. broccoli florets from Kenya. When we do use imported ingredients we try to ensure they have been shipped in on boats at a much lower environmental cost eg. imported nuts.
- We love seasonal food for lots of reasons and we do our utmost to create dishes/products with the flow of the seasons, this means the food is:
- Healthier, as its more likely to be fresh, local and ripe.
- Environmentally sustainable, fewer food miles, less storage, less energy used.
- More Economic, for all the above reasons, seasonal food offers better value.
- Some of our catering dishes will vary with the seasons, and sometimes be unavailable out of season.
- We never use meat, fish or eggs in our kitchens.
- We never use any dairy products in our kitchens.
- However, we do use raw local Cape honey in some products and in our kitchens.
- We do not use any wheat seed based ingredients, we do not store wheat seed or wheat seed based ingredients in our kitchen.
- We do however use wheatgrass powders in some product/dishes. Wheatgrass is a gluten free product, although there is a small possibility of wheat seed contamination during its production.
- Oats are used in our kitchen, we only use whole grain or rolled oats. Oats are a gluten free food but are frequently contaminated with gluten from wheat, unfortunately we cannot ensure our oats for be free of gluten/wheat contamination. Where oats are used it will be indicated.
- Allergens used in our kitchen include:
- Tree nuts. Cashew, almond, brazil, hazel, macadamia, pecans, walnuts, pistachio, pine nuts.
- Soy. In the form of certified organic Tamari sauce, Locally fermented organic Tempeh and Miso paste.
- Gluten, oats.
- Sesame seeds.
- Poppy Seeds.
- We never use refined grains, oils or sweeteners.
- Instead we do use whole seeds, nuts and grains, organic virgin cold pressed oils, mostly olive (nearly all locally produced), wholefood sweeteners like raw honey, dates or organic coconut blossom sugar.
- We do not use artificial preservatives, sweeteners, flavourants, added MSG, colourants, emulsifiers or stabilizers.
- Our catering foods are made fresh, naturally bursting with flavour and colour.
- We never, ever knowingly use GMO foods in anything. With high risk foods such as soy, we only use certified organic such as Tamari sauce or fermented Tempeh.
- We actively spend time supporting non-GMO companies and educating on the dangers of GMO foods.